Friday, August 17, 2012

Garden Update

I've pretty much spent the summer making zucchini bread and bringing it places. I add zucchini to any meal I can think of a use for it. Lesson learned for next year: plant less zucchini.

In other plant news, I've eaten some green beans and a few cherry tomatoes. Snap peas and Brussel sprouts never really took off. I think a creature ate them. I finally pulled up all of the beets I planted last week and just pickled all of them.

Yesterday, I went and did some serious work in the plot. I pulled up the zucchini plants that have stopped producing. I picked the Swiss chard and the last of the green beans (then pulled up those plants). I pulled weeds all over and immediately outside of my plot. I didn't bring my camera, or I'd show a picture of what's left. The cherry tomato plant and tomatillo plants are on the right side. The bottom is full of vines for sweet potatoes, and the corner they all form has the remaining zucchini. The rest of the garden I tilled by hand, then planted snap peas (2nd time's a charm?), beets, and Swiss chard. Clearly, those are not growing, so it's just brown for the rest of the garden. It looks kind of funny with two sides being lush and huge and the remainder being brown.

I'm finally getting a lot of cherry tomatoes, but they were still green yesterday. The husks of the tomatillos are there, but the fruit themselves are not big yet. Hopefully in a week or so I'll be overrun with those and bringing salsa verde everywhere.

No comments: