Saturday, December 29, 2012

Pre-1900 Book

I know you've all been wondering when I'd get around to this one. I must say, it was tough. I believe that, no matter how "timeless" the story, books were written at a certain time, for a certain audience. There's no way the author of Gilgamesh would know what life would be like today and how we'd want to be entertained. Sure, the story might be timeless, but the writing style of old books bothers me. I clearly didn't take this into account when making this goal.

Anyway, I decided on 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Bad decision. The book might as well have been called "How To Build a Victorian-Era Submarine and Explain How It Works in the Most Boring Way Ever." I took me weeks to read the first hundred or so pages. I decided to switch books right before Christmas. There was no way I was finishing The Worst Book Ever before the end of the year. I thought children's literature might be easier, so I chose Alice In Wonderland.

This book, I liked. So much word play. I took me a couple of days to read, but mostly because I was lazy about reading.

No comments: