Saturday, January 14, 2012

January Volunteering

Today, I volunteered with We Feed the Homeless through One Brick Philly (you can check them out on meet-up here). We Feed the Homeless set up a buffet line with sandwiches, soup, chips, fruit, and drinks, and people went through getting one of each. My job was to count people we served (166). In case you were unaware, today was pretty cold for this winter, so far. They usually serve 275-300 people, so this was pretty low, which just shows how cold it is today. They stayed in the shelters rather than venturing outside.

Today made me grateful for having a warm place. After we finished, people were talking about how cold their toes and fingers were, and I just kept reminding myself that I was outside for an hour during the warmest part of the day. Some people we served will probably sleep outside tonight.

No comments: