Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Podcast Challenge 6

In theory, I should've loved Death Comes to Pemberly. I'm currently obsessed with Downton Abbey, and while early 19th century Britain was different from early 20th century, I think the flavor should've been good. I also love a good mystery, and this mystery was quite interesting. Despite this, I couldn't get into Death Comes to Pemberly. My first problem was the way it was written. The tone was so forced to sound like it was written in 1805. Throughout the whole story, too, not just in dialogue. The story jumped around a lot to give background, but this was after it spent the beginning giving background, so I didn't understand why all of the background wasn't given upfront. Then, once the true story behind the murder came out, the details were given several times by several people, with a lot of the facts being repeated in each retelling. I found this rather ironic, since the judge the case was in front of was known for disliking hearing the same evidence more than once.

No comments: