Wednesday, May 16, 2012

New Museum 2

A few months ago, I found out that the Penn Museum was going to have an exhibit called "Run!" Clearly, I immediately let Natalie know she had to pay the Penn Museum a visit the next time she was home. She leaves for Tanzania soon, so she's home to see the family before she leaves, and she asked me to take a day and go with her. How could I refuse? We arranged to meet at the train station, and then walked to the museum, getting lost along the way. But we got a nice little tour of Penn in the meantime. I know I had never been to Penn before, and Natalie wasn't sure, so it was cool to see a bit of it. We finally found the museum, bought tickets, and promptly got lost trying to find the exhibit. By "got lost" I mean, totally didn't bother to find out where it was. Once we found it where it was, we wandered around quite a bit before we got there. And there was some sort of lunch event going on in one of the rooms we wandered through. Luckily they were just setting up, but it took us so long to find it, I was worried we'd  never make it back before the lunch started and we'd be stranded in the bottom floor of the museum. Also, I felt like the guy in Indiana Jones. You know "Marcus? He once got lost in his own museum." If his museum were the one I was at, I'd totally understand. The exhibit was pretty interesting. I didn't really know anything about the runners of the Sierra Madre and their ultramarathon. I don't know how much Natalie got out of it, since she had read the book, but I learned a lot. I'm going to read the book, hopefully soon (I currently have 3 other books out of the library).

Having accomplished what we set out to do, we decided to spend a little more time exploring the museum. We saw the evolution exhibit.  In it was a recreation of the mother of all mammals - a little thing that survived the mass extinction 65 million years ago. The placard about it had a note on it that said something along the lines of "No modern mammals, including humans, lived with the dinosaurs."

We then wandered through the Africa exhibit. I feel like that's seriously the best word for what we did, as I spent minimal time reading anything, and mostly just looked at artifacts. I'd like to go back another day when I have more time to look around a bit more.

1 comment:

MOM said...

Sounds like a nice day!